Happy seventh anniversary

Before the Mast!

Welcome

Peace with Spain was signed in February 1720. In late April its news arrived to the West Indies, so all the Navies got allied against the common foe – pirates, making their trade more difficult to survive. Which side are you on?

Be ye a pirate, a naval officer, a slave or a lady, you will find a place aboard one of our four ships or live on a paradise island. Men aboard any ship are strongly recommended as first characters, and civilians as secondary ones. No more female sailors are allowed.

We are not the usual sandboxy RPG, neither a narrative-driven one, but a story-focused writing community where each actively writing character can make a difference and an impact on the overall plot. We are writing collaboratively a coherent story with many sideplots aside of it. We also have guides to help you with the time setting, and are more influenced by historical events rather than following them by the history books!

This website looks best in Chrome and Internet Explorer. Firefox may distort some images.

Navigate

TIME STAMP

Command

Elena - Fleet Admiral
Mascha - Fleet Admiral
Alecto - Pilot

Spotlight

Port de Paix dwellers

The inhabitants of Port de Paix, a French colony, are now busy with celebrating Saint Jean d'Ete and a wedding among the highest nobility. Time for everyone who happens to be in Port de Paix to know them better… and to add your personal flavour to the holiday!

Social

Affiliates

Click on our button above for the affiliation thread!

Historical Affiliates
Prose The Vale The Creed.online  photo Aff_Banner_zpsr4rgj8cu.jpg deadmentellnotales AoI Mini Banner

Historical fantasy affiliates
STORYBROOKE MAINE Warlands

Affiliates
Bloody Dices Witchlight The Next Incantation

Vote for us
Forum Roleplay RPG Initiative Topsites RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software Licenţa Creative Commons

LockedNew TopicNew Poll

A Foggy Mirror, Att. Alexandros
Louis Quinault
 Posted: Oct 19 2016, 09:09 AM

master's mate aboard "Le Phenix"
Group Icon

Date: 20-th of May 1720
Place: The open sea, aboard “Le Phenix”

It was a partly cloudy morning, with very light wind and calm seas, but not as calm as to have Louis curse the wind in Occitan, like the crew had got accustomed for enough time. There still was a gentle, very low swell all the way across the Straits. A beautiful morning to set sail – and exactly what the whole crew of “Le Phenix” needed.

They had weighed anchor a few hours ago, and they had just got out of the port, into the open sea, which welcomed the man-of-war with its foaming waves. Again, the usual patrolling tasks. Louis had nothing against them, as patrolling meant sometimes seeing and catching a pirate ship (or, fewer times, a small smuggling vessel from Santo Domingo or Cuba, trying to tempt the French merchants with Spanish luxuries brought from the Far East). A prize was a prize, no matter how difficult or how easy it was to catch.

Five bells had been heard in the forenoon watch. Louis stood proudly next to Jacques, who was at helm, giving the much awaited orders:

“Hands aloft to loose the sails! We need full sails in order to take all the wind in!”

The riggers darted upwards on the yards. The choice to set out under topsails was an obvious one; the topsails were the first to be unfurled and the last to be taken in. The main courses took more wind, though, and they were the best choice for now.

He looked at the second lieutenant, who was now on the deck, and he approved the choice of the master's mate with a nod. He seemed not in a too good mood this morning, and Louis guessed the remains of a hangover.
pm   email   
^
Thierry Vounos
 Posted: Oct 19 2016, 10:12 AM

Master Gunner aboard "Le Phenix"
Group Icon

Leftheris was again at sea, and he liked the salty smell of the waves. It gave him the only sense of freedom he could ever have since his country was under enemy occupation.

The stay ashore had been too short for his tastes, especially that he had been busier than with the regular ammunition and spareparts supply (which he had ordered and supervised the loading as thoroughly as he always did). He had a secret now – he was the silent associate into opening a new inn. The official papers had been signed at the notary two days ago and he felt more secure now, both in respect to his future and to his relationship with Mora. Taking this important step together and exchanging more promises than the notary had witnessed meant much for him. These gave him the peace of the heart needed for the new mission at sea. He was optimistic and ready for what it might entail.

The week spent in the home port meant also getting new crew aboard, including a new third lieutenant who had just reported to duty yesterday evening. Some men who had seen him already were saying that he seemed rather , others that he seemed to be older than the existing ones and that he had a strange foreign accent. Leftheris hadn’t seen him yet. Probably he was assigned the afternoon watch or one of the dog watches for a quick accommodation.

One of the young midshipmen who stayed around Leftheris to learn more about gunnery said that the new lieutenant had arrived from Russia, in a sort of exchange of experience. Leftheris found it plausible, as he had heard about Tsar Peter’s relationship with France, about the visit he had paid to the late King Louis some years ago, and so on. Russia had always been an elder sister to the Greeks since they were struggling under the Ottoman chains. He knew that some Greeks had emigrated there and had decided to serve the Russian emperor, getting into the army and learning the best way to fight the Turks, exactly how others had chosen Venice and its fleet. It felt somehow better not being the only foreigner aboard, too.

The quarter bill had been revised yesterday with the captain, with the aim of dividing the new sailors aboard among the established gun crews, as well as accounting for men who had been reassigned in their other duties. No single gun crew should have multiple men from the same work-area, in case of loss of the crew. The new quarter bill had been posted below deck and read to the men, yet it was likely that on first assembly some would automatically assume their old positions. Therefore, Leftheris knew this afternoon, at the third bell of the afternoon watch, there will be a new gun drill – this time, at cold. Adrien was supervising the first inspection of the guns’ state.
pm   
^
Alexandros Perivolakis
 Posted: Dec 5 2016, 09:52 PM

third lieutenant aboard "Le Phenix"
Group Icon

Finaly it was time to take his rightfull post as a third lieutanant in the service of the French crown. Alexandros did expect at first to be assigned that post as a lieutanant in training by his commander, except that he did indeed know that tsar Peter had called for closer relations between the crowns of Russia and France.

Currently he was sitting in his chair enjoying the last of his served coffee, when a young sailor aproached him and asked him if he wanted anything. Clearly the young man was sent by his fellow matelots to perform chores as a chalenge, but he did indeed want something.

"Look young man, i need you to take me to the master gunner" Akexandros said seemingly irritated that he was not allowed to finish his cup with his preffered pace.

The sailor gave him a nod and went on his way. He drank the last contents of the mug, and went right after him.
pm   email   
^
Thierry Vounos
 Posted: Dec 8 2016, 09:46 PM

Group Icon

Right now, Leftheris was writing in his log. He had already filled in the details of the new gun crews. Now the ideas for the planned drill for today were being written. He didn't expect a lieutenant to come to the gunnery room; he would have believed that if he was needed, the lieutenant would send a boy to call him to his cabin or to the quarterdeck. So he immediately stood up, at attention, and saluted the new officer he was just meeting.

Yes, that new lieutenant had been officially introduced to the whole crew at the morning appeal, but that was a formal gesture only, just for the crew to know they had one more officer to salute. Leftheris hadn’t even seen him well. As for the name the captain struggled obviously to pronounce, it hadn't been heard well either, so he had no idea whom he was talking to.

"Master gunner Vounos, at your orders, Monsieur le Lieutenant! I was just noting the details for the gun drill I'll run in the next watch. How can I help you?"

He was really curious to learn the reasons for this unexpected visit. Well, a lieutenant doing a sort of inspection in the first days, to get acquainted better with the ship and the warrant officers, hadn't been unheard of.
pm   
^
Alexandros Perivolakis
 Posted: Dec 21 2016, 05:11 AM

Group Icon

This month had indeed started nicely, with his wife not asking the same question over and over again and being a bit more introvert than usual, a new position so that he could serve all that he held of great value, and a voyage in the sea with plenty of reasons to strike at the Ottomans. But, every day that thing happened there where new issues to adress and ofcourse new people to meet. That meeting part was always the most nervous at its start but with his Greek heritage flowing inside him, every dialogue could easily transform into a party or a brawl. Either way, meeting his crewmates would be an honour to both, because in the end life is all about people.

"Sir? Are you alright? We have arrived" the young man said to Alexandros.

"Ah, yes!" The lieutenant said maintaining the tone of his voice "i was just thinking of how to greet the man without making him feel like i was about to execute him"

"Dont worry sir, Thierry is an understanding man. He is of the ones who play backgamon with us and does not go angry if we manage to beat him!"

"So, he's patient..." Alexandros let out a thought. "You are dismissed child. And do tell the other young men that Perivolakis skins the sailors who disregard their duties, and preffer to send other people for them"

The woung man gave a slight nod with his head and went on his way. The look on the other young mens faces would be priceless to see indeed.

Alexandros opened the door to the gunnery room where the master gunner was, and as usual for a man who held a more base rank, it was logical to not expect a lieutenant to come there. Indeed, the man stood up and saluted him. An act that he had goten used to over the years as it was a usual thing. Men greeting him in salute for his service. If only his father and mother could see how one decision was possible to change ones world!

As expected the master gunner gave him the propper greeting and interestingly enough, gave as his surename the word Vounos... Mountain man in Greek. Now that was enough to shock him, so much that his face lit and gave way to slight and shortly lived smile. He had heard of Greeks who fled to other countries, serving the other kingdoms in order to further the needs of the Greek people or to ease the pain of the unbearable burden that is to hold and carry ones past.

"At ease master gunner. My first inspection is not to discuss plans but to know the officers who serve with me better. Let's have a seat here in this modest place and get to know each other better. My name is Alexandros Perivolakis. I serve the crown of His Royal Magesty czar Peter as a lieutenant in training, and i hail from Greece."

Then, he put up a slight smile and continued with the same calm tone "I take you where named Vounos by the assistance you gave to the Greeks in battles past? Or was your father named Vounos, your mother Vounena, ki ego milao san gallos tosin ora?"
pm   email   
^
Thierry Vounos
 Posted: Dec 21 2016, 11:03 PM

Group Icon

This new lieutenant was a little bit strange, Leftheris thought, not sure why the man was smiling. It might have been for how Leftheris had jolted from his table, in surprise, and succeeded to get quickly the recommended position for a proper salute. If it was for his accent… well, the lieutenant's wasn't perfect, courtly French either.

When the man told him that his objective was to know each other better, and to sit together at the table, he bowed and, with an elegant motion of the hand, recommended him to take a seat. He sat back in the place the lieutenant had found him… and it was good that he had done it before the man introduced himself. A compatriot. Of course, there had been some who had chosen Russia to devote to, when the beautiful Greece became Yunanistan, an Ottoman raya among others. It was a matter of opportunities. His had been Serenissima Reppublica, having to endure its loss of the latest war too. Russia and Czar Peter were in continuous ascension, while he had to admit Venice had outlived its glory.

Leftheris' first moment of silence was due to the surprise. Then, Lieutenant Perivolakis continued his words, surely amusing himself of his interlocutor's puzzled expression. The master gunner had only one main dilemma: his heart was telling him to behave in a certain way with a compatriot; the Navy discipline was telling him that the respectful behaviour to a commissioned officer was something different than what he was feeling…

"Glad to meet a compatriot!" he replied in Greek, grinning widely. "And I am honoured to serve under your command. Your French is definitely better than mine. My ancestor was named Vounos after the mountains of Crete, my godfather gave me the name of Leftheris, after what was taken from us, and I fought for the Serenissima Reppublica, giving a tribute of blood in Matapan."

This was the briefest summary of his life.
pm   
^
Alexandros Perivolakis
 Posted: Mar 22 2017, 01:56 AM

Group Icon

When Lefteris gave him a complately brief as well as honest background about his career, Alexis was not surprised. It was evident that he was not only an examplemery sailor who would fulfill his duty to its very end, but also a compatriot with whom he can relate to! That is good news indeed!

He led out another quick smile, by accident his brother would say if he where here, and tried to settle his mind on a question to ask his fellow compatriot. Before he could do so, his mind snapped and stopped working its question proscessing, as he did not mention his own background to the man who was sitting in his chair. How rude by Russian standards, let alone Greek ones!

"Well, as you already know by now i Am Alexandros Perivolakis. My homeland is the Ottoman eyalet of Yunanistan, but since i am with a fellow pained compatriot, i preffer to say Greece. I had left my home after my grandfather, who had lost half his money to pirates, got me in favour with a Russian recruiter and i had served my other homeland in her battle against Sweden. My parrents are all of Greek descent and my dear brothers are the merchants Emmanouil and Konstantinos. And Th-"

As if he he needed to remember that man now, his mind went immediately to his younger brother Thanos. That was complately unecessary and so he stopped speaking any further for a moment.

His face, expressionless as usual as it was, did not manage to hide his stutter. He had to find a quick excuse to make his speech seem less awkward...

"In fact... They are still trading with others at Kingston and i haven't visited yet"

He smiled a bit, and continued "i am glad to see and also work with a compatriot. Especially one that had helped our cause.."

Once he was done, he took a slow and long breath before asking Lefteris.

"Well, now that i know who you are, and you know who i am... How is your life without the Ottomans breathing down your neck?"
pm   email   
^
Thierry Vounos
 Posted: Mar 24 2017, 07:27 PM

Group Icon

Leftheris listened carefully to the man's introduction, making a clear grimace of displeasure when the other mentioned the Ottoman eyalet of Yunanistan and smiling widely after he changed his mind and called it Greece again. That grimace would have surely got him in trouble with a commissioned officer, being misinterpreted as lack of respect towards him. His interlocutor, though, knew well the lack of respect was only towards the damn bloody occupants of their homeland.

Fighting for Russia, the new mother of Orthodoxy after the falling of Byzantium, was something many Greeks who hated the current situation were doing. The others did like him, choosing Venice. Probably, a matter of opportunity. For islanders, Venice was closer. For those who could connect with Russians from the North, or from Mount Athos, or from another connection, that was the choice.

He heard him stop when mentioning a name, but right then he was not thinking at all about his Greek acquaintances in Tortuga, so he had no guess what the lieutenant was talking about. He suspected the stop was due to wanting to mention a brother who had deceased meanwhile. The point with Kingston had been perceived as an attempt to change the subject, and this was what he had followed too.

"The Brits are our allies. We do stop in Kingston from time to time," he said on an encouraging tone.

Leftheris sighed at the appreciation that he had helped the cause.

"I am glad to work with a compatriot too. What to do when the CAUSE was lost, than choosing another flag to fight for?"

He smirked at the next question:

"It's good working with the French. And I like these places. It isn't as if anybody else would have been waiting for me back home. All had been killed."
pm   
^
Alexandros Perivolakis
 Posted: Jun 17 2017, 05:18 PM

Group Icon

Lefteris did seem to appreciate his notion that he helped the cause of their people, but gave him a bit of a sad comment that seemed to rightfully demand an answer from him. Not just because he had to, but because he felt like he had to. It's like one of those questions his small brother Thanos would insistently ask him over matters that needed no answering.

"The cause is never lost, unless you convert to Islam" Alexis chuckled "but we'd still win because it would be the same God. As for having to choose a flag, there are not many options out there sadly, if I had my way I would design one of my own blue like the sea with a cross, and stick with it. For now I prefer that of a sister country. If that can be an answer!"

His newfound smile got lost again when he heard of Lefteris' own people, as if Holy Mary herself rose up from her seat and commanded I'll fate to strike at his compatriots once in a while, and him to hear about it from Sweden to France and from Russia to the Americas.

All had been killed.

"They are the lucky ones. The rest of us have to stay and bear the burden of their loss" he said to Lefteris, trying to cover his expression of agony. Or was this one of the ten sins, rage; the same one that took him over back in Stockholm, when a sword and a unit of troops were given to him as weapon against Swedish aggression? He could perhaps hide it, but his hand had already tightened upon the hilt of his sword.

"Did you know, that going to Russia was not my choice? It was my duty, one that I do not resent but instead understand as a necessary part of the most important thing that we have to achieve. Only the smallest of my brothers resented it, and had my father enough coin to send someone else to serve here at the seas, I would only take him for he would have loved it. Instead..."

What in the world got to him and nearly said all this to a new officer he just met, he did not know, but perhaps it was because he was a compatriot. But, did it matter?
pm   email   
^
Thierry Vounos
 Posted: Jun 19 2017, 11:34 AM

Group Icon

Leftheris smiled at hearing the lieutenant’s words. They sounded encouraging.

”The Hell I would convert. Born Orthodox, I’ll die Orthodox… even if, lacking an Orthodox church, I might light a candle in a Catholic one in Port de Paix. And I have done the same like you… I guess the most correct statement is that the Morean war was lost.”

The man had another view of the world, but it was equally sound as his own. Indeed, the ones left behind were to bear the burden of the loss.

”You are right,” he confirmed. ”I can say that I saw it as a duty too, but in my case it was my choice to sneak on a Venetian ship my elder brother embarked on to go to fight in Morea… I was too young for a soldier, at barely thirteen, but old enough to be a powder monkey aboard the ship. And he was killed in the battles on land, I survived and advanced here at sea.”

They have lived similar lives, even if the similarity was stopping somewhere on the divergent paths of their destinies. At least the other had a young brother to worry about… Leftheris had none left.

”In lonely evenings, if you feel like playing tavli and reminiscing of home, I am here,” he said. ”My mate, Adrien Lefevre, also speaks Greek and plays tavli. He is also born to one of the peoples subject to the Ottoman Empire, but the ones closer to Venice.”

It was as close as he could be among compatriots.
pm   
^
Alexandros Perivolakis
 Posted: Aug 9 2017, 02:22 PM

Group Icon

His fellow countryman had a more simple yet respective view of the world, one he could easily understand and almost relate to.

In one hand Alexis had a family, while Lefteris had to suffer a more lonely path in his life, while in the other hand Lefteris might loose a battle and think their cause lost for a few years, while Alexis had his mind stuck in that every single day was a battle so that there will be a Greece in the future.

In the end of their conversation, the master gunner mentioned that he and another one of his countrymen played tavli a favourite game in the Eyalet known to its citizens as Greece.

"I would love to see how you handle some good tavlaki! I was not the best back home, but I could still learn..."

- THE END -
pm   email   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Completed | Next Newest »

Options LockedNew TopicNew Poll

Credits. This skin was made by MORU specifically for BEFORE THE MAST and rethemed by MASCHA.
Listed At:
RPG-D RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies RPGfix Forum Roleplay: Roleplay resources catering to play-by-post forum gamers and communities a team resource & community site Candyland Couture RP Junction: a RPG directory