Happy seventh anniversary

Before the Mast!

Welcome

Peace with Spain was signed in February 1720. In late April its news arrived to the West Indies, so all the Navies got allied against the common foe – pirates, making their trade more difficult to survive. Which side are you on?

Be ye a pirate, a naval officer, a slave or a lady, you will find a place aboard one of our four ships or live on a paradise island. Men aboard any ship are strongly recommended as first characters, and civilians as secondary ones. No more female sailors are allowed.

We are not the usual sandboxy RPG, neither a narrative-driven one, but a story-focused writing community where each actively writing character can make a difference and an impact on the overall plot. We are writing collaboratively a coherent story with many sideplots aside of it. We also have guides to help you with the time setting, and are more influenced by historical events rather than following them by the history books!

This website looks best in Chrome and Internet Explorer. Firefox may distort some images.

Navigate

TIME STAMP

Command

Elena - Fleet Admiral
Mascha - Fleet Admiral
Alecto - Pilot

Spotlight

Port de Paix dwellers

The inhabitants of Port de Paix, a French colony, are now busy with celebrating Saint Jean d'Ete and a wedding among the highest nobility. Time for everyone who happens to be in Port de Paix to know them better… and to add your personal flavour to the holiday!

Social

Affiliates

Click on our button above for the affiliation thread!

Historical Affiliates
Prose The Vale The Creed.online  photo Aff_Banner_zpsr4rgj8cu.jpg deadmentellnotales AoI Mini Banner

Historical fantasy affiliates
le Rois Soleil STORYBROOKE MAINE Warlands

Affiliates
Bloody Dices Witchlight The Next Incantation

Vote for us
Forum Roleplay RPG Initiative Topsites RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software Licenţa Creative Commons

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) LockedNew TopicNew Poll

Healing Wounds, Att. Katya
Katerina Meshcheryakova
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 08:57 PM

Tavern maid, Kingston
Group Icon

While Chago spoke, Katya felt that there was something left unspoken. Not that she was bothered by it. Everyone had secrets and he certainly did not owe her any explanation for his past. He had rescued her life. That alone entitled him to some secrecy and his past was none of her business anyway. But the sense that he held something back made Katya believe that he wasn’t all that interested in talking about it so she did not press the issue.

After a pause, Chago began wondering about the future. The change of topic threw her off course for a moment given that they seemed to shift a bit between talking about the past, the present and the future. That would be hard enough given the shock of recent events, but her lacking English skills didn’t make it easier. ‘A new life? I don’t know,’ she said thoughtfully and studied Chago for a moment. ‘I have travelled much all my life to get away from Russia, England, and now here. I am not sure my father could take it anymore to uproot his life.
pm   email   
^
Santiago Moreno
 Posted: Apr 19 2017, 01:47 PM

Smuggler; captain of "Hermione"
Group Icon

Chago had replied to her questions, without giving as many details as to turn it into the sad ballad. It wasn’t as if he wanted to cling to Hermione’s story as a well kept secret. He might tell it to her, but rather if they discussed about past loves than the prison story he wanted to forget (but he knew he would never be able to). Most likely, Katya couldn’t forget what she had been through either.

Her reply was not unexpected. But could he ask more until he was sure what he wanted to do? Or was it the opposite? Could he know for sure what he wanted to do if not hearing her answers first? Chago had always cared for Katya. In which way, it was difficult to say. Could a protective, tender and nurturing feeling be enough for building a lifetime together? Would it further grow? Or maybe it was already growing, as his body and soul were both getting healed, but they were too busy to realize it?

”Indeed, it would be difficult for your parents. They are old and they have a certain customer base here. However, they weren’t the ones attacked lately. But you could. If you got married to someone on another island, you would get also another family name and the evil people would lose your trace. Have you ever thought about how you would like to be your life as a married woman?”

Maybe it was not the right way to start the discussion, a random thought whispered into Chago’s mind. Just that he didn't know any other way. Ultimately, most men would marry some day. La Cachita had promised to send him the right woman, wearing her colours. And if Katya wasn't the right one, now that she needed his protection too, then who could be?
pm   
^
Katerina Meshcheryakova
 Posted: May 6 2017, 04:59 PM

Tavern maid, Kingston
Group Icon

The hypothetical discussion of Katya’s future was a bit far fetched to her. She was still under contract and any dreams of the future just seemed futile while her hours and days were meant for the employment on the Dancing Fairy. The talk of marriage though made her shake her head. ‘I can not marry someone,’ she said matter-of-factly. ‘It is not allowed because I am indentured Servant,’ she added in the same tone and looked at Chago.

To Katya, this talk was almost as dangerous as those who had called her out as a Jew. Dreaming of the future was like whenever she remembered her homeland and had to realise that she would probably never see the Russian landscape again in her lifetime. She would not get to speak in the only language she truly knew with anyone but those in her family. So just like her dreams of home, Katya could not really image much ahead to a time where she was not owned for a time by a contract her father made long ago. ‘I have not thought about it no,’ she told him. It wasn’t strictly true. Back when she had spent much time with Gary, the navy lieutenant, she had secretly wished that he would marry her. But even then, she had known that it was not to be given that he was a part of society’s upper echelon and she was in the very bottom. ‘I learned long ago that dreams are dangerous’.
pm   email   
^
Santiago Moreno
 Posted: May 7 2017, 12:17 AM

Group Icon

Chago smiled at her words. He couldn't say he didn't expect them, as far as he had arrived to know Katya from their discussions of last year. He had the patience to point out to her:

"You won't be an indentured servant forever. You'll be still young when you end your contract. So you can think about it, even if you know that it wouldn't happen tomorrow."

Definitely not tomorrow, but… maybe sooner that she expected? A crazy idea started forming in his mind, still not getting any expression in words, more than what if?. Or… was it so crazy to attempt protecting a skittish young woman who was in a real danger? And what more protection than …this?

When she said that dreams were dangerous, he shook his head.

"This is not true. I know why people tell you that dreams are dangerous. Because they are powerful, and some people don't want you to have any power. With their dreams and hopes for the future, people are coping better with a difficult present. They know what they have to strive for, they can wait patiently or take steps to make that dream happen, according to the case."

Someone who just lived the day, without any dream or hope, was in the power of those determined to follow their own dreams at any price.

"All right, I am going to change a little my questions, and you can think about the reply for a few days. I don't want it right now. I have been thinking about how much I care for you and how I want to know you are safe after I have to leave Kingston. Would you like to be my wife and come with me to Tortuga? Do you think you can love me and live with me for the rest of your life?"

It wasn't exactly how he'd imagined he'd propose to the woman he would choose to spend his whole life with, still he knew he wouldn't regret asking, no matter which would be her reply. And he continued, in order to appease her concerns:

"There are people who speak English, and you'll make new friends. I know an innkeeper, Maribel, who will want to be your friend and she wouldn't let you feel alone. With my family name and with a home on another island, you will be safe. As for here, if you say yes, then I ask your parents and I buy your contract, so you will be allowed to get married and to follow me. And I'll try my best to make our further life together how you wish it to be."

He would do nothing if she wasn't convinced this was what she wanted. He had known about girls given in marriage by their parents without being asked if they could share a home with that man without dying of heartbreak. This was not what he envisaged about a marriage.
pm   
^
Katerina Meshcheryakova
 Posted: May 18 2017, 01:45 AM

Tavern maid, Kingston
Group Icon

I know it will not be forever, but there is not much point to dream about a future that I don’t even see close yet,’ Katya replied when the length of her contract came up. She had uprooted her life twice with her family before coming to the Caribbean and if she had thought of a future in Russia, it was shattered when they fled to England and any dreams of a future on the British Isles were suddenly made null and void when they had to indenture themselves to get to Jamaica. Dreams surely could only lead to disappointment.

The fact that some people abused people to gain more power and that those people used their dreams to step on people was not something Katya really thought about much. Somehow, she had just gotten so used to be on the bottom of the hierarchy and people stepped on her all the time to get ahead. But her mind was soon distracted from that when she was asked if she wanted to be Chago’s wife. For a moment, Katya sat unmoving in her chair. She had no idea how to respond. Sure she knew Chago from the inn, but aside from saving her and revealing that his identity was in fact not what he she had known, he was not among the people she had spent the most of time with. She had always known him as a kind and friendly man, but even so, the question surprised her.

Katya hadn’t really thought much of marriage, except when she had met with Gary in the past. Back then she had developed a crush on the noble navy lieutenant that still lingered in her and even though she had known that a marriage between them could never happen, that had been when she had imagined it. Now though. Marriage was actually suggested and she had no idea what to say. Finally though, she shook her head. ‘I think it is my father you should talk to about this,’ she said after a while. ‘That is his choice’.
pm   email   
^
Santiago Moreno
 Posted: May 20 2017, 06:14 PM

Group Icon

Maybe Katya was the right one. Maybe he was too much of a dreamer and her practical thoughts could be better; he wasn’t' sure about this, though. Indeed, life turned unexpected curveballs to him. He definitely had not dreamt, at a certain moment of his youth, that he'd become a sailor, a slave of the pirates (and those were way worse than Sol Picador and the Devil), a mercenary, then a ship captain. He had seen his whole career in the Spanish Army, further dreaming of resounding success and promotions. But once things happened and a new future was in store for him, his expectations and dreams got adjusted, the past disappointments being turned into realistic expectations for the new conditions. He was always dreaming about the next steps, and actively preparing for tackling them.

Anyway, Chago was too tired by his health problems to have the strength to tell her more about this. He was content to look at her and think about solutions for her immediate problems, as these mattered more now. And he seemed to find a solution, deep inside himself. Could a life by her side be possible? He thought so.

When Katya said that he would have to talk to her father, he smiled.

"Of course I will talk to your father, to receive his approval and blessing. It is the traditional way to do it, and I would want nothing else. But I wouldn't do it unless you tell me that you would like building a life together with me. I need a loving wife, a life partner, not a slave sent to marriage against her will, and seeing it like a new indenture contract. I have seen such unhappy beings in my life, and you mustn't be one of them, at least not as long as I can prevent it."

Poor young woman who had been always accustomed that someone else decided for her needed an incentive to understand that he wasn't the one to do it, neither to accept it.

"YOU have the first choice, because you would be the one to actually get married, not your father. If you say no, nothing will happen. And you have time to think until I get well enough to be able to leave your house. Time to know me better, time for me to reply to any of your questions and to make your mind."

If she said yes and they got to marry, there would never be anyone to make the decisions for her. He would say his opinion, advise, but never impose.
pm   
^
Katerina Meshcheryakova
 Posted: May 29 2017, 05:44 AM

Tavern maid, Kingston
Group Icon

The turn that the conversation had turned into was quite surreal to Katya. On one hand, she had not at all been thinking about weddings and romance. She had gotten so used to just working that any concept of love was a long forgotten dream. On the other hand she couldn’t deny that she still held a gentle flame in her heart for Gary. Even if she hadn’t seen him for month, maybe even a year soon. Finally, Katya knew that regardless of what she said, no one but her father would be the one to say yes or no to a marriage proposal. Even if Chago claimed that she had a choice, she knew her father and in the end, it would be his choice.

Sometimes the contract, the indenture contract, feels like a slave contract,’ Katya admitted in a rare frankness about how she was overworked at the Dancing Fairy compared to the other girls. ‘But this is very much you told me and I need to think before I can say anything and I probably have to speak with my father too,’ she said but offered her wounded saviour a smile to make sure he wasn’t discouraged.
pm   email   
^
Santiago Moreno
 Posted: May 29 2017, 11:12 AM

Group Icon

Chago nodded.

”I agree with you. It is a limited term slavery, in some ways. And yes, you have to think about my proposal. It would be my duty to speak to your father, and I am aware that he can say no even if you say yes. I am just telling you that I would speak to him only after you tell me you would like spending a lifetime with me. Loved, protected by me, and starting together a new life, in Tortuga. Until you give me this reply, I will be no longer bringing up this subject, because I don’t want you to feel pressured into something you don’t want to happen. Any reply you give would be accepted without comments, be sure of this,” he smiled at her, in the attempt to make her understand that this time, indeed, her opinion is sought and taken into consideration.

He was patient. He could see a new life with her, helping her to achieve her little dream of having a bakery, arranging a home together to make it theirs. He could woo her even after marriage, to slowly grow together into romance. Nobody said romance had to end when married life started. Some people got romance before marriage, usually after engagement. Others, never, thrown into arranged marriages without being even asked and without ever caring for each other – a thing which certainly wouldn’t happen to them. If she was interested, they would have a whole lifetime together to build a strong marriage, based on one of the many kinds of love...

He understood that someone could experience, during a lifetime, various kinds of love: with Luisa, he had the earth-shattering first love, which wasn't always meant to last. With dona Mariana, only a brief affair based on mutual attraction and vulnerability. It had been something which could have developed into love if the conditions allowed - but they hadn't. They had only prepared his heart to fall quickly and strongly for Hermione, into a passional love curbed only by her untimely death.

For Katya he had always had another kind of feeling - first and foremost, the need to help, protect and cheer her up. But this was developing, with knowing her better. It was growing into another kind of soft, kind, tender love. One which could last and grow further. And he knew she could be a good wife, helping him build a quiet, domestic life that someday he’d need, after all these stormy years, with their hardships marked on his skin, as scars.

Again, a reason to frown – if they got married ultimately, wouldn’t she get horrified by his scars? But well, if he thought better, these weeks of high fever, she had seen him shirtless already, even if he was too delirious to remember who helped him fight the fever each time… So she might not be as horrified…

- THE END -
pm   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Completed | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  LockedNew TopicNew Poll

Credits. This skin was made by MORU specifically for BEFORE THE MAST and rethemed by MASCHA.
Listed At:
RPG-D RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies RPGfix Forum Roleplay: Roleplay resources catering to play-by-post forum gamers and communities a team resource & community site Candyland Couture RP Junction: a RPG directory