Happy seventh anniversary

Before the Mast!

Welcome

Peace with Spain was signed in February 1720. In late April its news arrived to the West Indies, so all the Navies got allied against the common foe – pirates, making their trade more difficult to survive. Which side are you on?

Be ye a pirate, a naval officer, a slave or a lady, you will find a place aboard one of our four ships or live on a paradise island. Men aboard any ship are strongly recommended as first characters, and civilians as secondary ones. No more female sailors are allowed.

We are not the usual sandboxy RPG, neither a narrative-driven one, but a story-focused writing community where each actively writing character can make a difference and an impact on the overall plot. We are writing collaboratively a coherent story with many sideplots aside of it. We also have guides to help you with the time setting, and are more influenced by historical events rather than following them by the history books!

This website looks best in Chrome and Internet Explorer. Firefox may distort some images.

Navigate

TIME STAMP

Command

Elena - Fleet Admiral
Mascha - Fleet Admiral
Alecto - Pilot

Spotlight

Port de Paix dwellers

The inhabitants of Port de Paix, a French colony, are now busy with celebrating Saint Jean d'Ete and a wedding among the highest nobility. Time for everyone who happens to be in Port de Paix to know them better… and to add your personal flavour to the holiday!

Social

Affiliates

Click on our button above for the affiliation thread!

Historical Affiliates
HMS Aurora The Creed.online  photo Aff_Banner_zpsr4rgj8cu.jpg deadmentellnotales AoI Mini Banner

Historical fantasy affiliates
Maerish STORYBROOKE MAINE Olympus Has Fallen Warlands

Affiliates
Bloody Dices Storybrooke Witchlight The Next Incantation The Vow

Vote for us
Forum Roleplay RPG Initiative Topsites RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software Licenţa Creative Commons

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Bragging
Elena
 Posted: Jun 3 2016, 11:03 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

As some have seen already when I said in the c-box, I am getting published. And guess the pseudonym....

...Not much guessing for who knows my characters here and my FB pseudonym, isn't it?

The book is called "The wanderers of the sea" - 69,119 words initially. It got reduced a little after cutting about 20 pages which could have done without.

It is historical fiction/ young adult / seafaring adventure, set at the sunset of the Viking Era (around 1050). Two ships with Vikings banned from their country arrive to the Nahuatl Mexico after various adventures. Playing on the idea that Quetzalcoatl was Viking.

The launching will be towards the end of June.

Me with the first copy of the book to appear, at the book festival today, where the editorial signal was launched and I was introduced to other writers.

The publishing house's novelty portfolio - what's being launched these days and what will appear soon, mine being in the extreme corner.

--------------------
"Goals change a vague dream into a plan of action. Clearly stated goals are the step between what you want and what you get. But goals dependent entirely on the actions of others are destructive."
pm   email   yim   
^
Mascha
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 03:32 AM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Well done for having your book published smile.gif Although I was certain that you would have written a pirate book tongue.gif

Also, why not publish it under your own name? I have never understood why authors post under another name??
pm   email   
^
Elena
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 08:43 AM

Administrator
Group Icon

First I am replying you why in general authors write under a different name, explanations being taken from creative writing articles:

Privacy.
Your writing could interfere with other aspects of your career. If you are a surgeon, do you want your patients to know you crank out high-body-count thrillers? If you dabble in bondage fiction, do you want to share that information with neighbors, employers, and your church group? Privacy is one of the main reasons writers choose pen names. Sadly, some careers don't mix well with the writing life. If you're a well-respected literature teacher by day and a writer of what your colleagues (and supervisors) might consider decidedly "non-literary" fiction by night, you may have good reason to use a pseudonym. Many writers find a pen name to be an excellent, and necessary, way to separate their writing careers from their day jobs.

Branding
In deciding on pen names, writers try to evoke the right tone, whether it is mysterious, authoritative, or lovable. They may have different pen names for different genres. A writer with an audience in romance will choose a different pen name for a dark, dystopian fantasy. Writers who have bombed under one name start over with pen names.

Writers who have tried to "cross genres" often find the results disappointing. Agents and publishers also may prefer that a writer use different names for different genres. Rather than confusing your readership, it may be better to develop separate and distinct followings.

You write for competing publications. Another good reason for using a pen name is when writing for competiting publications in the same field. "I'm well-known in a very small industry, and the trade magazines in this industry are very competitive. I write for one magazine under my own name. About a year ago, another approached me about writing for them, but because my name was on the masthead of the first magazine, I had to turn them down. They went to my original editor and asked if it would be OK for me to write for them under another name. So I'm Carolee Boyles (myself) at one magazine, Marjorie Sessions at another, and I'm about to become Max MacKenzie at a third . The editors all know what I'm doing, but I don't mix topics between the magazines, and I keep the names separate. It all works out to everyone's benefit."

You write in a genre that has "expectations" about its authors. When was the last time you saw a romance novel by "Jake Hammersmith" or a hard-core thriller by "Felicity Valentine"? In certain genres, writers often prefer to conform to reader expectations (or may be required to do so by their publishers). Men who write in traditionally considered womanly fields (such as romance) want to choose a female name, while women who write in men's fields (e.g. SciFi) would choose male names.

You hate your name. Under some circumstances, having a "rotten" name can be reason enough to use a pseudonym. For example, if your name is Lila Latrine or Barnaby Backhouse, you might want a more literary nom de plume.

Easy-to-Read
The marketplace has changed. More people shop for books by scanning online thumbnails instead of browsing bookstore aisles. Writers are selecting short pseudonyms that pop from the screen. If your name is difficult to pronounce or to spell (and therefore difficult for readers to remember or "ask for" at the bookstore) it is also recommendable; for example, Dennis Max Cornelius Woodruffe-Peacock sensibly chose to write as "Max Peacock."

Avoiding confusion
If a writer has a common name, or the same name as someone famous, a pen name avoids confusion. If your name is Stephen King, Anne Rice, or J. D. Salinger, your publisher may require you to "change" it to avoid confusion. Sometimes you can get away with a variation on your name -- for example, by writing as S. B. King or A. Gloria Rice

Collaborations
Two or more co-writers might pick a single name for publication.

My case, from the editor's point of view, was that short names are the ones needed now. People aren't interested in longer names anymore. So Lelia-Elena Vasilescu (or any of the two given names, the family name is too long, and my maiden name is equally long) was out of case. Marina Costa is short and rather unusual. My bonus? I can make an author page on FB for promoting my book and announcing launching events, because it is the same name I use on FB.

And Vikings are pirates too! The story comprises a few sea attacks.

--------------------
"Goals change a vague dream into a plan of action. Clearly stated goals are the step between what you want and what you get. But goals dependent entirely on the actions of others are destructive."
pm   email   yim   
^
Joelle
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 08:01 PM

Group Icon

In my case, I chose a pen name because someone famous in the journalism industry ( she writes for the New York Times) has my name so I used my name in French class instead. smile.gif (all my professional writings for the newspaper are tagged as Joelle too) Congratulations Elena!

--------------------
user posted image
pm   
^
Elena
 Posted: Jul 1 2016, 10:53 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Photos will come in a few days, when I save the most representative on photobucket. For now, a known lady writer is speaking about me here. I know you don't speak Romanian, I just put it here for 2 reasons:

1) those who haven't heard it spoken yet can make themselves an idea how it sounds;

2) look how I sit like a bride in the middle of the attendants, and I hardly manage my emotions!

As you can see, the final cover was different than the one chosen for the editorial signal.

I remind those willing to give me a "like" that I do have a writer page on Facebook... To see closer the cover and other photos too wink.gif

--------------------
pm   email   yim   
^
Elena
 Posted: Jul 25 2016, 11:03 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Photos from the launching on 23-rd of June and photos from the launching on 25-th of July.

For those who don't have Facebook, I think you don't need to be logged on Facebook in order to see them, since they are public.

--------------------
pm   email   yim   
^
Elena
 Posted: Mar 8 2017, 01:32 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

user posted image

Another reason to brag tongue.gif

The title can be translated as "Lives in turmoil" - with
Volume I - "Bloodied Lands" and volume II - "The New World".

user posted image

Yes, the launching of the second novel will be on 23-rd of March.

--------------------
pm   email   yim   
^
Joelle
 Posted: Mar 8 2017, 06:58 PM

Group Icon

Wow, and special invite as well! Congrats!

--------------------
user posted image
pm   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Parley | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Credits. This skin was made by MORU specifically for BEFORE THE MAST and rethemed by MASCHA.
Listed At:
RPG-D RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies RPGfix Forum Roleplay: Roleplay resources catering to play-by-post forum gamers and communities a team resource & community site Candyland Couture RP Junction: a RPG directory