Happy seventh anniversary

Before the Mast!

Welcome

Peace with Spain was signed in February 1720. In late April its news arrived to the West Indies, so all the Navies got allied against the common foe – pirates, making their trade more difficult to survive. Which side are you on?

Be ye a pirate, a naval officer, a slave or a lady, you will find a place aboard one of our four ships or live on a paradise island. Men aboard any ship are strongly recommended as first characters, and civilians as secondary ones. No more female sailors are allowed.

We are not the usual sandboxy RPG, neither a narrative-driven one, but a story-focused writing community where each actively writing character can make a difference and an impact on the overall plot. We are writing collaboratively a coherent story with many sideplots aside of it. We also have guides to help you with the time setting, and are more influenced by historical events rather than following them by the history books!

This website looks best in Chrome and Internet Explorer. Firefox may distort some images.

Navigate

TIME STAMP

Command

Elena - Fleet Admiral
Mascha - Fleet Admiral
Alecto - Pilot

Spotlight

Port de Paix dwellers

The inhabitants of Port de Paix, a French colony, are now busy with celebrating Saint Jean d'Ete and a wedding among the highest nobility. Time for everyone who happens to be in Port de Paix to know them better… and to add your personal flavour to the holiday!

Social

Affiliates

Click on our button above for the affiliation thread!

Historical Affiliates
Prose The Vale The Creed.online  photo Aff_Banner_zpsr4rgj8cu.jpg deadmentellnotales AoI Mini Banner

Historical fantasy affiliates
STORYBROOKE MAINE Warlands

Affiliates
Bloody Dices Witchlight The Next Incantation

Vote for us
Forum Roleplay RPG Initiative Topsites RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software Licenţa Creative Commons

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) LockedNew TopicNew Poll

The Pirate, The Lieutenant And The Brig, att. Andrea
Alexandros Perivolakis
 Posted: Aug 9 2017, 01:11 PM

third lieutenant aboard "Le Phenix"
Group Icon

The kind of cruel and inhuman games that the Turks used to play with their subjects are said to be able to twist the very soul of the man that participates in them. Either the torturer or the one being tortured.

The hits that this particular torture required though, where few and very well calculated so as to not break the head of the victim but still manage to hurt like hell. Because with each hint, the strikes smoothened, and with each sign of disobedience they got harder

So Alexis had to be very careful with his questions, each hit a game of a bucket and some queries, that become more likely to be answered.

But he was not cracking easily like the slavers he had questioned before, for they did not receive the same welcome as the pirate did. They had no people to care for in that lost ship aside from their own rotten skin, but they could have lied! Since, as Andrea said, only the quartermaster had the roster...

So what else could the Alexis do aside from loosing his nerve once more? The lieutenant stopped his attacks and questions for a few minutes, staying completely silent as he stopped to think. If the pirate would not sell out all those that where alive, maybe he could start by telling the names of the dead, and maybe a name of someone he himself had recently killed..

More minutes passed away as Alexis stood by pondering on what to ask of him. After realising that a gamble of words and hits might just get him a dead man and some hits, he gave him something to talk about before hurting the pirate once again.

The lieutenant stood motionless as he remembered that fight. It was like he was facing an equal opponent, or better yet, a superior enemy with a better understanding of how combat itself worked, completely unpredictable. Nothing prepared him to face such an event... And those final words he had told Alexis still cling to his thoughts, haunting him...

"Andrea... Eleven days prior to your questioning... The port authorities of Port de Paix had come in contact with a spy looking at the personal possessions of her Serene Highness, Princess Louise Anne de Bourbon, perhaps to know if she was carrying anything valuable... In short I was also stationed there and as a soldier and ally of the crown I had to help the authorities give chase."

He took a slow deep breath and started approaching closer to Andrea.

"Once I had managed to reach him, the pirate scum had already killed all five of his pursuers, but in the end was no match for me. What actually shocked me, was that the man I defeated was someone I knew" Alexis gripped hardly the rod in his hand and raised it high above the pirate's head before continuing "What did the cute neighbour girl said when the man called Athanasios Perivolakis, who was once thought a smuggler, had fallen into piracy, and was spying something in Port de Paix before I killed him?"
pm   email   
^
Andrea Costa
 Posted: Aug 10 2017, 12:03 PM

Sailing master on the "Rising Sun"

Andrea was not a traitor. He tried his best to keep his composure, no matter how his head hurt with each bucket hit, like ten migraines at the same time, vibrating and pounding him. He also heard, from the next compartment of the hold, the sounds of the former slavers being tortured much worse, screaming. He tried his best not to scream, but sometimes the pain was impossible and he wasn’t sure anymore what he said or did.

He was loyal and honourable. But among the two siblings, Marina was the stronger one, the one having inherited more traits from their father. He was more resembling their mother, including a certain finesse and inner fragility usually associated with the feminine side. He thought he was going to die in prison or in the noose and nothing would ever save him, therefore he was trying to die honourably. Why caring for his own life, when knowing he wouldn’t make it alive? Miracles didn’t exist anymore. The last one had been given by Saint John last year, when they saved Sol. Now the fort had double guards…

Then he got to the stage that he was numbed. Almost in a dream, he heard the next question. There were some connexions made in his mind, what to say and what to keep for himself.

”I have never met a man called Athanasios Perivolakis. I had a friend aboard the ship, though, called Thanos Pireotis. And I know he had been in Port de Paix when you are saying.”

He would never say that the man wasn’t dead. That Maribel and Sara could patch him up and that he was among those stranded on the desert island. Let him believe he had killed his compatriot…. He had no idea of the officer’s name, to think further. His thoughts were different - that once in Port de Paix, in the fort, it was going to be worse.
pm   email   
^
Alexandros Perivolakis
 Posted: Aug 31 2017, 03:32 PM

third lieutenant aboard "Le Phenix"
Group Icon

The brutal torture that Alexis applied to his prisoner was not one to be used frequently, as the man who was questioned might not get a simple head wound but end up forgetting even his own name. So he had to take care of how harsh his strikes were and which places in his head to strike.

But, it seemed that Ange au Sabre's little bit of living hell would pass, as the third lieutenant not only got his answer from the pirate being questioned, but everything. The ship, the ones in command, the mission that was tasked to the man he had killed. The only thing that was missing from the image formed inside his head was what did the man he had killed planned to do with the information he had stolen. But it mattered little...

The pirate though, he need not know what was on his own mind now.

”I know of the man called Thanos Pireotis" Alexis said trying to take a breath from hus dreadful work "he had introduced himself as such in Port de Paix, boasting even of his new identity...”

That would be enough to assure him that his brother was dead. Alexis left the rod back to the table and went to sit down in his chair, without removing the bucket from the head of the pirate.

"My name, mister Ange au Sabre, is Alexandros Perivolakis" the lieutenant spoke out with an emotionless tone, " Your suffering will soon end if you comply with the law and answer my former questions..."
pm   email   
^
Andrea Costa
 Posted: Aug 31 2017, 08:05 PM

Sailing master on the "Rising Sun"

Andrea's headache was harder and harder. He felt his head vibrate and heard echos of the voices – both his and the Navy officer's. He wondered if he would get crazy after such a Turkish game. He heard, however, the lieutenant's words and understood them. In the quieter moments, he could add them up to their true value, and he sighed. Up to the lieutenant to believe that he was mourning his friend Thanos. No, he was still alive, healing under Maribel's hands, but he just realized that an old story got a new pair of faces, this time at odds. If Baptiste and Marc, he and Marina, and the other pair of brothers he knew, had put their blood above any allegiance, this one was doing the opposite, wanting to kill his own brother.

The musings were interrupted by a new hit and a new question. Andrea didn't know anymore, in that impossible headache, if he replied or not and what exactly. The pain was felt twofolds, knowing that it was inflicted by a compatriot, or threefolds, knowing that it was the fiercest enemy's torture adapted by the victims.

The brig became suddenly narrower, the walls pressing on Andrea's head and suffocating him.

– THE END –
pm   email   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Completed | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  LockedNew TopicNew Poll

Credits. This skin was made by MORU specifically for BEFORE THE MAST and rethemed by MASCHA.
Listed At:
RPG-D RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies RPGfix Forum Roleplay: Roleplay resources catering to play-by-post forum gamers and communities a team resource & community site Candyland Couture RP Junction: a RPG directory