Join the most epic naval battle!

Make your mark upon our West Indies saga in "Doomsday"!

Welcome

Peace with Spain was signed in February 1720. In late April its news arrived to the West Indies, so all the Navies got allied against the common foe – pirates, making their trade more difficult to survive. Which side are you on?

Be ye a pirate, a naval officer, a slave or a lady, you will find a place aboard one of our four ships or live on a paradise island. Men aboard any ship are strongly recommended as first characters, and civilians as secondary ones. No more female sailors are allowed.

We are not the usual sandboxy RPG, neither a narrative-driven one, but a story-focused writing community where each actively writing character can make a difference and an impact on the overall plot. We are writing collaboratively a coherent story with many sideplots aside of it. We also have guides to help you with the time setting, and are more influenced by historical events rather than following them by the history books!

This website looks best in Chrome and Internet Explorer. Firefox may distort some images.

photo Chronicle2_zpsr3ndumra.jpg

Navigate

TIME STAMP

Command

Elena - Fleet Admiral
Mascha - Fleet Admiral
Alecto - Pilot

Spotlight

Port de Paix dwellers

The inhabitants of Port de Paix, a French colony, are now busy with celebrating Saint Jean d'Ete and a wedding among the highest nobility. Time for everyone who happens to be in Port de Paix to know them better… and to add your personal flavour to the holiday!

Social

Affiliates

BTM affiliates

Click on our button above for the affiliation thread!

Historical Affiliates
HMS Aurora Frisson RPG deadmentellnotales Aeterna Roma AoI Mini Banner photo Aff_Banner_3_zpsvwycvh0j.jpg

Historical fantasy affiliates
STORYBROOKE MAINE Swords of Speirling CoT%20Affie%20Button.png Olympus Has Fallen

Affiliates
Derelict Bloody Dices Nevermore: Harry Potter 1980's RPG All Kinds of Everything Warlands Witchchraft Phoenix affiliation  Third World The Next Incantation The Vow ToD

Vote for us
Topsite aff Forum Roleplay RPG Initiative Topsites RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software Licenţa Creative Commons

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Tal Vez Mi Media Naranja?, (Possibly my other half?) Monica & Jean
Monica Perez
 Posted: Feb 19 2017, 11:47 PM

tavern maid
Group Icon

Date: 24 June 1720
Place: Basse Terre, Tortuga, on the shore, a little ways away from the summer fires on the festival day

Monica was sweating, and it wasn't only because of the summer heat, or the fires that burned all the time. Ever since her beating after stealing the shoes at the last St. John's festival she had been to, something about the crowds of people here made her nervous.

She had thought she would have enjoyed herself. She thought the memories were behind her, or if they weren't quite behind her that coming here might help to cleanse her of them.

She had apparently been wrong on both counts, but it was too late now, and so she watched some of the others dance, remembering in her heart and head the tribal drums of home. The fact that there were some others here, dark skinned like her, made her feel both better and worse. Better, because she wasn't alone. Worse, because if anything happened, they would be likely to be blamed too, if she hid among them.

If there was one thing she could wish for, today of all days, it would be a medal with her saint. But though she was free, stealing would do her no good, and she could not afford one.

Feeling vulnerable, she moved a little away from the fire and tried to concentrate on the drums and take herself home, at least in her mind.

--------------------
pm   
^
NPC
 Posted: Feb 22 2017, 08:20 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

user posted image
JEAN SERRE, pirate, former slaver

- continued from here -

It felt good to be alive and not rotting in prison. Jean had been at the mass today, he had given thanks and he had received even a pain de Saint Jean which he had put in his pocket, to eat it later, with a glass of cider.

He had been around with Vitor, until the Portuguese had found a woman to his liking. Jean had danced with one, who had left him afterwards, to giggle with her sisters. She was, most likely, too young for him, he mused. He looked around, as the dances were appealing and he wanted to find another dance partner, if the other hadn't been interested. As he was looking, he saw somewhere aside, a brass-tanned beauty with loose curls and a dreamy face. He approached her boldly and directly, as he had learnt in his sailing years:

"Were you dreaming about a new dance partner?" he joked. "Because I'd like dancing with you!"

This was Tortuga, not Versailles. One didn't have time for too much fancying around.

This post has been written by ELENA
pm   
^
Monica Perez
 Posted: Feb 26 2017, 09:06 PM

tavern maid
Group Icon

"Perhaps," she said. "I was thinking of the drums of home also." If she wasn't so afraid, she really would like to dance. But how was she to explain it to a stranger? "If I felt comfortable, I'd dance with you if you liked, but for now I am hot. That's why I am a little ways away from the fires."

There, that was the truth and it was not revealing too much to someone she did not know yet.

It seemed she should have seen the man before. If she was not mistaken, she had,and he was one of Sol's crew. His name, however escaped her. But his face seemed kind, as well as seeming to be a beautiful nearly golden shade of brown, and that was enough for her not to fear him.

"In the meantime, would you like to talk a little? I am Monica Perez, the owner of the herbal shop, but I used to work in the Elixir. Have I seen you there before?"

--------------------
pm   
^
NPC
 Posted: Feb 28 2017, 11:07 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

user posted image

His words received an unexpected answer.

"Do you mean Africa? You have been born there and you remember? How old were you when you were taken?" he asked.

It was not impossible. And her halted French was showing that she wasn't speaking it for long. Would she have been one of the victims of Captain Rawson's raids? Hopefully not. It would have been too painful for him if he faced his fate this way.

If being too hot was the reason, this problem could be solved simply.

"Well, we needn't go closer to the fire to dance, if you like it. The tune is heard here too."

And here he wouldn't share her with anyone. But as she wanted first to talk a bit, and to introduce themselves, the better.

"My name is Jean Serre. I used to be a part of the Rising Sun's crew, and I spent some of my free time in Belle's inn, but you weren't working there anymore in May, when I joined them. I was born in Saint Domingue, but my parents had been born in Africa."

Actually, only his mother and her ancestors, as his father was white. But he never thought about his father.

Probably their paths had crossed in the market streets or somewhere else. Because, if he looked better, he would have said he had seen her before too.

pm   
^
Monica Perez
 Posted: Mar 3 2017, 06:43 AM

tavern maid
Group Icon

"Yes, Africa. I was born in the city-state of the Yoruba. And then... I was brought here at... twelve, they told me I was." It was still confusing, having an actual birth date and everything. Such things had been made note of only for the king and queen in her country. She smiled at him. "I wonder if your parents remembered where they had come from, too. I also apologize for my less than perfect French. I had been on Santo Domingo, the Spanish side, until last year."

Indeed, the tune could still be heard from this area, and knowing a little more about him made her relax even more. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to let her guard down a little, as long as they stayed close to one another. She nodded her assent and began trying to follow the dance.

--------------------
pm   
^
NPC
 Posted: Mar 4 2017, 02:10 AM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

user posted image

So she was speaking Spanish better than French. Jean had learnt English and some Portuguese, not Spanish, during his time with Captain Rawson. So they had to understand each other in her limited French. And they had been on the same island, just on opposite sides.

"I heard about Yoruba. Great warriors, they said. My mother was from Fon tribe. My father was the overseer."

It happened. He was not the first, nor the last one to be born from a forceful union. As she apologised for not speaking French well enough, he returned the apology.

"It is all right. I am not speaking Spanish either, unfortunately."

She agreed to dancing with him, and, given that they could hear the tunes from both the main fire and the African drums from the other, closer to the seashore, dedicated to La Sirene and Agwe, he asked:

"What do you prefer first? Should I teach you the dances played there, or would you remember some of Africa and let yourself sway into the rhythm of the drums?"

It was her choice.

pm   
^
Monica Perez
 Posted: Apr 11 2017, 03:42 AM

tavern maid
Group Icon

"Teach me first, I think. I don't remember many of our dances anymore," she said, the last part sounding regretful. "I was so young when I left."

Indeed, Monica didn't remember many of the dances from her homeland, though she had tried over the years occasionally at other festivals. Whether it was because she blocked them out as a way of not bringing herself pain when she remembered happier times or because she was afraid of the reactions of any nearby white people was anyone's guess, including her own. But she had a feeling it was a combination of the two reasons.

"Have you been taught any dances from your parents' homelands?" she asked out of curiosity.

--------------------
pm   
^
NPC
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 09:16 AM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

user posted image

Could he deny her kind request to teach her the African dances, as it seemed they were the first on her mind? It wasn’t as if they could understand each other without difficulties, but despite what he had initially asked her, it seemed the reply was a bit different – that she didn’t remember the dances of her homeland anymore, and that she was interested if he had learned his ancestors’.

”Yes, I was taught. We were dancing them on holidays, around a fire, in the sound of drums, rattles and fifes, just like here. And it is not difficult – let’s go a bit closer to the drums, even if not quite near the fire, just to hear better their rhythm, and if you let yourself embraced by the song and move in the rhythm, you don’t need anything else,” he said.

Maybe once she started dancing, the movements she had seen in her childhood would come back to her, he mused.

Dancing made Jean feel lighter, happier. Each drum beat seemed to resonate with something in his body and soul, begging him to allow his body to express the internal and external rhythms of the drums. He was dancing a warrior dance, moving the pelvis, shoulders, arms, hands, hips, and feet in an intricate way. He danced with the storm and the waves, opening himself to the new, to the unknown future, through the power of dance.

pm   
^
Monica Perez
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 06:28 PM

tavern maid
Group Icon

As she watched his movements, she recognized it as being similar to a warrior dance in her own homeland, and despite herself, she began to dance too. It didn't matter that she was a woman, not here. She was a different kind of warrior- a survivor- but a warrior nonetheless!

Monifa, warrior princess!

Somehow it suited her, thinking of herself this way, and before she knew it she had whispered it aloud.

"Warrior princess of the Yoruba!"

Wouldn't they be proud if they could see her now? Her parents, Kanyi, the people? She imagined herself dressed in a warrior's clout, her arm around a fierce yet gentle lioness, scratching her ears as she gave a low, rumbling purr. It was so real she had a bit of trouble orienting herself when the dance was over. And then she realized one thing. Her secret was out.
She hadn't been a warrior, but she had been a princess.

Would he not want to talk to her anymore? Would he consider himself unworthy of that? She couldn't remember telling anyone in Tortuga her secret before.

--------------------
pm   
^
NPC
 Posted: Apr 19 2017, 11:28 AM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

user posted image

Monica was dancing, with sensual, slow intricate moves, raising her arms over her head and shaking them to sound her bracelets, then laughing and beguiling. Her hips were waving, and the first layer of her many petticoats as well, and the steps were intricate, in the rhythm of the drums. The waving of her petticoats suggested the moving of the waves on the sea.

Where the Yoruba young woman saw a warrior princess, considering her secret told to everyone, Jean saw La Sirene, the spirit of the waters, dancing with Agwe, as he was undulating his spine with the hands placed on bent knees, meeting all her moves.

She was a survivor, indeed, of whatever misfortunes had befallen her in her youth, and now she was a young woman brought again to her roots in a magical night.

Unlike the style of their ancestors, but copying the manners of the whites, among whom he had spent enough time, when the dance was over, he kissed her hand, thanking her for having accepted his invitation.

Jean had no idea she was a Yoruba princess, but this dance had convinced him that she could be his princess.

pm   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Tortuga | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Credits. This skin was made by MORU specifically for BEFORE THE MAST and rethemed by MASCHA.
Listed At:
 photo affJcinkb_zps3d6d5515.png RPG-D RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies RPGfix PBEM photo PBEMaff_zpse8feedf8.gif Forum Roleplay: Roleplay resources catering to play-by-post forum gamers and communities a team resource & community site Candyland Couture RP Junction: a RPG directory Nerd LinkLane Ruby Wings Listings  photo SmoothSailing_zpsrdtfin96.png